The original home of the Westville Synagogue (1954)
The Westville Synagogue, sixty years in the making, continues to evolve and grow, serving the needs of the Orthodox and larger New Haven Jewish community. In the Spring of 1952, Charles Albom, Arthur Slutsky and Herbert Batt dreamed of having a synagogue in Westville. A small group began davening in a private home with a Torah borrowed from the Young Israel of New Haven. In 1953, 75 people attended High Holiday services at the Davis Street School. In January 1954, a group met to discuss the idea of establishing an Orthodox shul in Westville; a small house on West Prospect Street was purchased and services were held just before Pesach.