Services and Zmanim
Friday, February 3, 7 Shvat
Shacharit: 7:00 AM, Mincha: 4:50 PM, Candle lighting: 4:52 PM
Shabbat, February 4, 8 Shvat
Shacharit: 9:00 AM, Mincha: 4:45 PM, Havdalah: 5:53 PM
Rabbi Hyman’s Friday night class is titled “Selling a Synagogue”
Rabbi Hyman’s Drasha on Shabbat is titled “The Promise of the Future”.
Our thanks to Rabbi Hyman, Steven Zalesch, Jacob Hasbani, Rafi Lefkowitz and Ron Salem for reading from the Torah this week.
Kiddush after Shabbat morning services is sponsored by the shul.
February 11th – Film Screening: Rosenwald. Discussion led by Ed Schrager
February 6th, 8pmWestville Gala Committee Meeting at the home of Betsy and Glenn Shulman, 75 Stevenson. The 2017 Shul Gala is set for June 4, 2017 but much work remains. Please come to this meeting Road. We will be investigating ideas about possible musical entertainment as
well as looking for thoughts and volunteers on all of the following: Planning Catering Decorating Advertising Ad Journal, Audio set up Soliciting ads (possible) Auction/Raffle
Please bring your ideas and your energy to our efforts; the Gala is the Shul’s number 1 annual fund raising event.
Shabbat, February 25th – Westville Cholent Cook-off! the Kiddush will consist of Cholent, chullent, choln’t… you get the idea. We would like five (first come, first eaten) cholent mavens to come to the shul and prepare their favorite recipes in the shul’s kitchen. Please share your taste with us; contact Elchanan and Marina Baine, co-chairs of the program, at firstname.lastname@example.org. to make arrangements.
In the Community
What’s Cooking? Two new Jewish cooking series are offered courtesy of the JCC at Westville.
• Around the World – Wednesdays Feb.1 – Mar.22 7-9 p.m.. Hands on cooking of cuisines from around the world. $135 per person. http://bit.ly/Aroundtheworldcs
• Couples Cooking – First Thursday of the month Feb 2 – June 1. Lara and Sahar Yahav offer a warm atmosphere to learn and dine. Each class end with a community meal BABYSITTING available (add. charge) $165/couple http://bit.ly/couplescs.
JCC Mitzvah Fair – March 5th (7 Adar) Donate sample size toiletries to area shelters; Mitzvah Fair will wrap them up into gift packages. Remember, we are still collecting non-perishable food until early next week. Both toiletriesand food may be dropped of at the Shul.
Communal Purim SeudaCommunal Purim Seudah, Sunday March 12, hosted at Westville Synagogue including megilla readings great food and fabulous entertainment (especially for the kids).
This is an independent collaborative community event, sponsored by Westville Shul together with five other synagogues and the Jewish Federation of Greater New Haven and is open to the entire community. Featuring:
• 2 separate afternoon megilla readings at 4:00 pm,
• Communal meal (kosher) at 5:15 p.m. with…
• MC/DJ Charles F. Rosenay!!! provides kid centered entertainment
• Early Bird (until Feb. 21) $24 per adult or teen (ages 11+), $14 per child (ages 5-10), under 5, no charge
• Until Mar. 6, $30 per adult or teen (ages 11+), $20 per child (ages 5-10), under 5 no charge.
To help out on the planning committee and/or on the day, contact Sharon Naveh at Newhaven.email@example.com and/or Ruth Gross at firstname.lastname@example.org