Services and Zmanim
Friday, February 10, 14 Shvat
Shacharit: 7:00 AM, Mincha: 5:00 PM, Candle lighting: 5:01 PM
Shabbat, February 11, Tu B’Shvat
Shacharit: 9:00 AM, Mincha: 4:50 PM, Havdalah: 6:02 PM
Rabbi Hyman’s Friday night class is titled “Designating a House as a Shul”
Rabbi Hyman’s Drasha on Shabbat is titled “The Song at the Sea –a Brick Wall”.
Our thanks to Daniel Nadis for reading from the Torah this week.
Kiddush after Shabbat morning services is sponsored by Meredith Abel honoring Rabbi Hyman’s achieving his Doctorate. Rabbi and Tova Hyman are donating a bottle of Scotch in gratitude to HaShem for granting this achievement and to the congregation for their constant support.
Due to Thursday’s snowstorm it is very likely that the Eruv will not be checked this week. We cannot rely on last week’s check, particularly since there is a very high probability that part of the Eruv was damaged in the storm. Please plan accordingly. – Rabbi Hyman
February 11th – Film Screening: Rosenwald. Discussion led by Ed Schrager
Shabbat, February 25th – Westville Cholent Cook-off! the Kiddush will consist of Cholent, chullent, choln’t… you get the idea. We would like five (first come, first eaten) cholent mavens to come to the shul and prepare their favorite recipes in the shul’s kitchen. Please share your taste with us; contact Elchanan and Marina Baine, co-chairs of the program, at firstname.lastname@example.org. to make arrangements.
In the Community
What’s Cooking? Two new Jewish cooking series are offered courtesy of the JCC at Westville.
• Around the World – Wednesdays Feb.1 – Mar.22 7-9 p.m.. Hands on cooking of cuisines from around the world. $135 per person. http://bit.ly/Aroundtheworldcs
• Couples Cooking – First Thursday of the month Feb 2 – June 1. Lara and Sahar Yahav offer a warm atmosphere to learn and dine. Each class end with a community meal BABYSITTING available (add. charge) $165/couple http://bit.ly/couplescs.
JCC Mitzvah Fair – March 5th (7 Adar) Donate sample size toiletries to area shelters; Mitzvah Fair will wrap them up into gift packages. Remember, we are still collecting non-perishable food until early next week. Both toiletriesand food may be dropped of at the Shul.
Communal Purim SeudaCommunal Purim Seudah, Sunday March 12, hosted at Westville Synagogue including megilla readings great food and fabulous entertainment (especially for the kids).
This is an independent collaborative community event, sponsored by Westville Shul together with five other synagogues and the Jewish Federation of Greater New Haven and is open to the entire community. Featuring:
• 2 separate afternoon megilla readings at 4:00 pm,
• Communal meal (kosher) at 5:15 p.m. with…
• MC/DJ Charles F. Rosenay!!! provides kid centered entertainment
• Early Bird (until Feb. 21) $24 per adult or teen (ages 11+), $14 per child (ages 5-10), under 5, no charge
• Until Mar. 6, $30 per adult or teen (ages 11+), $20 per child (ages 5-10), under 5 no charge.
To help out on the planning committee and/or on the day, contact Sharon Naveh at Newhaven.email@example.com and/or Ruth Gross at firstname.lastname@example.org
JCC Mitzvah Fair – March 5th (7 Adar)Participate in a Community-Wide
collection of Mitzvah Activities. Choose from events at four locations
JCC FITNESS CENTER 4 Research Drive Woodbridge, CT
B’NAI JACOB 74 Rimmon Road Woodbridge, CT
TOWER ONE/ TOWER EAST 18 Tower Lane New Haven, CT
SHORELINE OFFICE/ LIGHTHOUSE SQUARE 705 Boston Post Road Guilford, CT
Donate sample size toiletries to area shelters (drop off at Shul); Mitzvah Fair will wrap them up into gift packages. See flyer for more information.